As we write this, more than 46,000 tech workers have been laid off so far in 2023 by big-name companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Twitter, and Salesforce. Forbes reports the numbers are already one-third of all the layoffs in 2022, and “it’s only January.” If you’re worried about your job, have experienced a layoff, or are considering checking the tech jobs out there today, we have some advice that you can take to the bank: Find a recruiter.
Here is everything you should know about the benefits of working with IT recruiters in Newport News, plus how to find an IT job placement agency you can rely on. If you’ve been skeptical of working with an IT recruiter to find a tech job, here’s what you need to know to use these professionals to your advantage.
How an IT Recruiter in Newport News Can Help You Land Your Dream Job in Tech
There are dozens of articles that recommend networking as the best way to find a job. IT workers might groan when hearing this advice. (Aren’t we supposed to be notoriously antisocial)? But nearly 85% of all jobs are filled through networking. What if you hate networking and don’t even have a network? Is there anything you can do?
The answer is (still): Work with an IT recruiter.
Partnering with an IT recruiter is the best way for you to overcome your tiny network and anxiety over building it. IT recruiters in Newport News and around the country spend all day building their networks and expanding their reach. All it takes is for you to reach out to one IT recruiter and they can connect you with multiple companies eager to check out your skills (even during a down economy.
An IT recruiter can help you land your tech dream job by:
- Identifying job opportunities that align with your skills and experience.
- Acting as a liaison between you and potential employers, presenting your qualifications and representing your interests.
- Helping you prepare for interviews and negotiate compensation packages.
- Providing insight and guidance on the hiring process and company culture.
- Offering career development advice and coaching.
IT recruiters in Newport News and elsewhere around the country are free for job candidates. They are an excellent resource that will help in your next job hunt. Here are five key reasons to reach out to an IT job placement agency in Newport News today.
#1 IT Recruiters Have Access to Exclusive Tech Jobs in Newport News
You may assume that every job gets advertised. In fact, 80% of jobs never even make it onto job boards. Where are these jobs, and how can you gain access? Again, IT recruiters are the answer.
Recruiters have access to exclusive job openings in the IT field, as they often work with companies on a retained or exclusive basis to fill specific positions. IT recruiters in Newport News have access to job openings that have not been publicly advertised, which can give job seekers an advantage in their employment search.
Tech recruiters can also offer insight into the company you’re applying to and the team you might be joining. Finding the right job to match your skills is one thing; IT recruiters can help you understand the culture and politics of an organization to understand if it is the right fit.
An IT job placement agency in Newport News can also help by leveraging relationships and networks within the IT industry to identify and present job opportunities that haven’t been advertised. They can assess your qualifications and fit for specific roles and assist with the application and interview process. Additionally, an IT recruiter can help you prepare and tailor your resume and cover letter to specific jobs.
#2 Find a Tech Job Faster with an IT Recruiter
Applying for a job is a cattle call. On average, each job attracts around 250 resumes. Of these candidates, up to six will get called to interview. Only one will get the job.
But what if you could cut through this red tape? An IT recruiter can help you find a tech job faster by leveraging their knowledge of the job market and the industry and their relationships and networks within the IT field. IT recruiters in Newport News can use their knowledge and connections to identify job opportunities that match your skills and goals.
Instead of going through the traditional process of applying and waiting, tech recruiters can personally share your resume and credentials with decision-makers at specific companies. If the IT recruiter believes you are the right person for the job, they represent your candidacy to the employer. This effort puts you at the front of the line in a job search and speeds up the traditional process that can often feel like throwing your resume down a dark well.
IT recruiters in Newport News work with hiring teams to find the perfect match. This gives the tech recruiter specific insights into what the company is searching for in a job candidate. Then the recruiter can help you prepare and tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job you’re applying for, which can increase your chances of getting an interview.
#3 IT Recruiters in Newport News Are Experts in the Local Job Market
IT recruiters in Newport News know and understand the local job market. The best recruiters live and breathe within the local job market every day. Recruiters know:
- Current trends affecting the job market.
- The skills and qualifications that are in high demand in your area.
- The companies that are hiring.
- The compensation packages possible in your region.
- A company’s culture and hiring history.
IT recruiters have a network of industry contacts, which includes hiring managers, HR professionals, tech workers, and industry leaders. This network of resources provides valuable information about job openings, and insights into hiring and job qualifications. These professionals can offer you market insights and salary ranges, which can be very useful when negotiating compensation packages. They can help you stand out from other job candidates with resume and interview advice. IT recruiters also have the perspective that comes from seeing hundreds of resumes and interviewing just as many candidates.
That’s why job seekers partner with local IT recruiters in Newport News.
#4 Your IT Recruiter Can Help with Interview and Resume Prep
A recruiter can help with your resume and interview prep in several ways:
- Resume review. Recruiters can review your resume and offer feedback on how to make it more effective.
- Tailoring your resume. Recruiters can help tailor your resume to the specific job and company by highlighting the most relevant skills and experiences.
- Interview preparation. IT recruiters in Newport News offer guidance on what to expect during the interview by preparing you for common questions.
- Mock interviews. Recruiters help brush up your interview skills. This can build your confidence for the real thing.
- Negotiating the offer. Recruiters also help you understand an offer within the context of the local market. They can help you understand the benefits and perks of the job and help you negotiate the best possible offer.
#5 Find a Tech Job That Meets Your Needs with an IT Recruiter
An IT recruiter can match your skills to the best tech jobs by using a combination of their local market knowledge, their understanding of your skills, and the employer’s needs. This process includes:
- Skills assessment. Recruiters conduct an initial interview to assess your skills and qualifications.
- Matching skills to the right job. Once they understand your strengths and weaknesses, an IT recruiter will use their local job market knowledge to find you a potential job match.
- Tailoring your resume. Using their personalized knowledge of the employer, the recruiter will help you tailor your resume before presenting it to the company.
- Offering guidance. Then the recruiter can provide guidance as to what to expect during the interview process.
- Negotiating. Finally, the recruiter can help you navigate the tricky negotiation process after the offer occurs.
This partnership will increase the chances that you will find a tech job that meets your needs.
How to Find an IT Recruiter in Newport News
Now that you have a good understanding of how an IT job placement agency in Newport News can give you a leg up on the market, you have a decision to make. How can you find a reliable IT recruiter when there seems to be dozens to choose from?
Apply for a Job on an IT Recruiting Agency’s Website
An easy way to check out an IT job placement agency in Newport News is to apply for one of the tech jobs on their website. Before applying, look at the website to see the jobs they offer. You’re looking for an experienced, specialized IT recruiter with a good reputation. You can even ask around your professional network to see if anyone has ever worked with the recruiter or the agency you’re researching.
Search for Local IT Recruiters on Google and LinkedIn
A general Google or LinkedIn search will lead you to recruiters. This is a relatively “cold” way to find an IT recruiter. If you’re searching for a local job, include region-specific search terms. However, check out the reputation of the IT recruiter and the IT job placement agency before sending them a resume. Be discerning, and don’t send your resume to every recruiter. You want to find the right partnership that you can leverage potentially repeatedly during your professional career.
Looking for a Job in Tech? Connect with an IT Recruiter in Newport News from CTR
CTR wants to be your go-to IT recruiter in Newport News. As a leading IT job placement agency in the region, we offer tech jobs with the best employers. We’re hiring now.